Unbrave Eats: Hot Chocolate at the City Bakery

January 18, 2013

IMG_0100

When I first decided to add one whirlwindy day in New York City to the end of my recent trip, this idea, like so many of the ideas that swirl recklessly around my head, seemed like a good one at the time.

Sure, it meant paying crazy money to stay at a hotel in Manhattan.

But, hey, you only live once, right?

At least I really hope you only live once. Because, seriously, you guys, after this lifetime, I won’t be able to afford reincarnation.

When I woke up my last morning in North Carolina with a scratchy throat, it started to seem like kind of a bad idea.

Two long distance bus rides later, I arrived in New York City at midnight with a full-blown sniffly, sneezy, phlegm-filled head cold.

And the idea of running around New York City for a day when I could be at home napping and staring at a Toddlers and Tiaras marathon started to feel like the worst idea I’d ever had.

And I’ve had some pretty bad ideas, guys. Remember? Like this one. And that one. And, oh yes, how can I forget this one? So it’s not like it didn’t have some competition.

But I was ready to fight fire with fire.

Or, as the case may be, to fight phlegm with Vitamin C.

My first stop in New York was the pharmacy where I stocked up on everything with a picture of an orange on the label.

IMG_0058

Make me better, fake orange stuff!

When that didn’t work and I woke up the next morning still feeling like death, I knew it was time to take serious medical action.

And by “serious medical action” I mean “hot chocolate.”

What did you think I meant?

Ooo, with a chocolate room! I want a chocolate room!

Ooo, with a chocolate room! I want a chocolate room!

The City Bakery is apparently the place to go for hot chocolate in the city. Or at least that’s what the Google told me.

The café was big and airy and bustley and packed full of New York City people doing their New York City things. Like the couple who was sitting next to me, who spent thirty minutes saying the F-word and eating croissants. This is what New Yorkers do, you guys. They talk like sailors and eat flaky pastries. I should probably move there.

IMG_0097

At the counter, all the baristas wore scrub hats like you see the doctors on medical dramas wear. And while they couldn’t legally administer drugs, they could administer chocolate, so they were practically medical professionals.

Get your drugs... err, chocolate, right here.

Get your drugs… err, chocolate, right here.

The hot chocolate was rich and thick. And the homemade marshmallow served with it was so dense and huge that I needed a spoon to cut it in half before I could shovel it into my face.

IMG_0094

And, yes, maybe I did order a chocolate croissant with my hot chocolate. What’s it to you?

Besides, aren’t you supposed to feed a cold and starve the flu?

Or is it starve a cold and feed the flu?

Heck, I wasn’t even sure if I had a cold or the flu or some other phlegm-manufacturing virus.

So I decided to just feed it.

Whatever it was.

Because starving seems like the worst medical advice ever.

Especially when there are flaky pastries to be had.

It’s cold and flu season, people, how do you like your chocolate? (Yes, these two things are TOTALLY related.)

1. On January 18, 2013 at 10:17 am Priya said:

You had me at Hot Chocolate. You so had me.
    Priya recently posted..Technology Hates Me, And I Kind Of Hate It, Too

2. On January 18, 2013 at 3:36 pm Erica of Kizzling Around said:

Haha not sure I would go for a dairy product while trying to combat phlegm, but chocolate is always a good spirit-lifter, so you gotta pick your battles, I suppose :)

I’m a fan of super rich hot chocolate, the ones you almost have to scoop with a spoon. yum!
    Erica of Kizzling Around recently posted..Spicy Cochin

3. On January 18, 2013 at 3:59 pm Andi of My Beautiful Adventures said:

Awww I literally ate there almost every day for 4 years when I was in Grad School. My school was right across the street!!!
    Andi of My Beautiful Adventures recently posted..San Francisco & Napa Valley: Day 4 (Part 2)

4. On January 18, 2013 at 4:22 pm Selly said:

Jealous. Green with envy. This is exactly my cup of tea…err…I mean my cup of chocolate. Thanks for helping me decide what I’m having for breakfast tomorrow. Homemade hot chocolate and a hot chocolate muffin! Yes, just perfect.

5. On January 18, 2013 at 9:56 pm cosmoHallitan said:

Add a shot of Bailey’s to that hot chocolate – that’s my kind of medicine!
    cosmoHallitan recently posted..Off the Beaten Track in Bangkok

• On January 22, 2013 at 9:01 pm Sally said:

Mmm… sounds delicious. I’ve also discovered something called Rumchata (like Bailey’s but cinnamony flavored) that goes GREAT with hot chocolate.

6. On January 19, 2013 at 9:41 pm Lilian said:

Hot chocolate is a much better idea than my idea of hot whiskeys in Dublin a few weeks ago. Seriously, they only made me drunk, and probably more sick – which wasn’t pretty sight, but at least for a while I thought I was better!

7. On January 20, 2013 at 8:59 pm Tom @ Waegook Tom said:

I’m totally adding this to my, “places to gorge myself silly whilst in America” list. I need some more stuff for the North. The South currently has everything north of Virginia beaten by a mile.

Bring on the hot chocolate and gargantuan marshmallow.
    Tom @ Waegook Tom recently posted..Daecheong Lake: Or, A Promise To Korea

8. On January 22, 2013 at 1:54 pm Aggy said:

I had hot dark chocolate with Irish whisky this week, was heavenly!
    Aggy recently posted..Penang: Turtle, Peace, and Quiet

9. On January 22, 2013 at 6:07 pm Mzurie said:

I think this warrants your investigation:

After all, free pie.

10. On March 4, 2013 at 11:19 pm Ceri said:

Hot chocolate whether sick or well HAS to happen. ALWAYS. Totally going there now. :D Put it on my list of NYC things to do.
    Ceri recently posted..Scenes from the Museo de Arte Moderno