Unbrave Eats: Chicken and Waffles

January 6, 2013

2013-01-05 19.30.55

A million-billion years ago (okay, maybe only three), I used to run a regular series called “Unbrave Eats,” in which I ate a lot of stuff and wrote about it. For some reason, I stopped running the series. Probably because I couldn’t fit into my pants. But I’ve decided it’s high time I brought it back. Because, whatever, who cares about pants?

Prior to my arrival in Durham, North Carolina yesterday, I had received two emails from the friend I was coming to visit.

One email simply contained the link to a chicken and waffle place in town.

The other included the line: “Also, how do you feel about lemurs?”

This is how you know you’re in for a good time: emails about waffles and lemurs.

As soon as I arrived, my friend and her boyfriend whisked me directly from the bus station to the chicken and waffle place.

Which, mind you, wasn’t just any chicken and waffle place.

But a world famous chicken and waffle place.

Well.

Almost.

IMG_9833

Ahem.

As this was my first time ever trying chicken and waffles, I was in a bit of quandary as to which menu item to go with.

It didn’t help that all the items on the menu had  super awesome names like “The Frizzled Fowl” and “What a Classy Hen?” (For the “mo’ distinguished” customer.  Obviously.)

I mean, I’m a pretty indecisive person to begin with, so how am I supposed to decide when faced with all that awesomeness?

IMG_9838

I finally settled on something called the “Orange Speckled Chabo” – a fried cutlet served on top of a sweet potato waffle, drizzled with honey mustard sauce and served with orange-honeycomb butter.

IMG_9842

The dish far exceeded my expectations.

Which is saying something because I had pretty high hopes for chicken and waffles.

Because, I mean, come on guys.

It’s chicken AND waffles!

Together!

How can that not be good?

But combined with the honey mustard sauce and orange-honeycomb butter, it was like all these amazing different flavors got together and had a party: salty, sweet, tangy, citrus and butter. (Butter’s totally a flavor, guys.)

And then they invited me to the party.

And we had the best time EVER.

What strange food combination have you tried and loved?

1. On January 6, 2013 at 12:23 pm James @ Fly, Icarus, Fly said:

I was once walking in a dark movie theater with my jar of peanut butter when I bumped into a girl holding a chocolate bar. Oh wait. Never mind… (Seriously. Vietnamese do this thing where they steep lemons in a salty brine. For like a year. Then they use it to make a weird salty lime drink over ice. I gagged the first time I tried it. Now, I kind of like it.)
    James @ Fly, Icarus, Fly recently posted..The Repro Men — Saigon’s Anonymous Artists

• On January 6, 2013 at 11:40 pm Sally said:

I think I had the salty lime drink while I was there & liked it. But I’m usually a salty/sour drink person over a sweet drink person to begin with — the exception being Vietnamese coffee which can never be too sweet in my book.

2. On January 6, 2013 at 12:57 pm Ross said:

In Taipei there is (or was) a place that specializes in creamed corn over shaved ice. It’s a great treat on hot days. In Australia I bought some musk Lifesavers. I can’t say they’re good but you gotta try ‘em. What about the lemurs?
    Ross recently posted..Found Money

• On January 6, 2013 at 11:39 pm Sally said:

I tried the beans over shaved ice in Taiwan. I didn’t think I would like it at all as I’m neither a shaved ice or beans fan, but I loved it — just proof that condensed milk can make anything delicious. Not sure about musk Lifesavers though.
      Oh, and the lemurs are tomorrow! (We’re visiting them. Not eating them. Not to worry.)

3. On January 6, 2013 at 2:32 pm Caroline Eubanks said:

YUMMM. Love chicken and waffles. Gladys Knight owns a chicken and waffles restaurant here in Atlanta if you’re ever in town!

4. On January 6, 2013 at 4:21 pm Kate said:

Listening to NPR early in the day this past New Year’s Eve, I heard that Norwegians believe that eating pickled herring on NYE leads to good luck in the new year. Since Norway has braved the last few years with barely any recessionary blip, I thought the pickled herring thing might have some validity. (Never mind that Norway has highly restrictive banking laws….) So, I enjoyed a jar of pickled herring with my glass (or glasses–ahem) of Moet et Chandon at midnight.

Did I enjoy that combo? Well, let’s put it this way: I didn’t get sick. And, to be fair, I woke early on New Years Day feeling GREAT!

As for the good luck thing, well, so far this year has been stellar–and it is only Jan 6!

• On January 6, 2013 at 11:37 pm Sally said:

Hmm… interesting. In Japan, they have lots of superstitions about what you’re supposed to eat in the New Year. I usually ate them all with mixed success. I’m just glad none of the superstitions involved pickled herring. Eek!

5. On January 6, 2013 at 6:53 pm Tracey - Life Changing Year said:

I’m thinking you might need to stop this series right now. Too many more meals like this one and you’ll soon be going pants-less…..again…..!
    Tracey – Life Changing Year recently posted..I Never Thought We’d Be Home For Christmas!

6. On January 6, 2013 at 7:43 pm Priya said:

I think my pants are starting to dislike me these days. But who needs pants anyway? Perhaps I will start a series called “Priya’ s Eats” which will be vegetarian and only include cheese.

7. On January 6, 2013 at 8:32 pm Debbie @ European Travelista said:

I’ve had my eye on a chicken and waffle place in San Francisco and now I know I need to go! I may need to walk to San Francisco so I can enjoy all the calories but it looks like it will be worth it :)
    Debbie @ European Travelista recently posted..Alexandrowka – Potsdam’s Russian Colony

8. On January 6, 2013 at 8:33 pm Erik said:

In my travels through the South, I have tried Chicken and Waffles, and it is about as strange a combination as anything I’ve tried.

I didn’t love it as much as you did, but it also wasn’t as bad as I had feared.
    Erik recently posted..Photo Essay- The Te Awamutu Museum

9. On January 6, 2013 at 8:36 pm Tom @ Waegook Tom said:

Wait wait wait…chicken and waffles…TOGETHER?! Please don’t tell me this is just a North Carolina thing, as I’ll only be transferring in Charlotte airport before heading down to Charleston in South Carolina. I could use me some of this.
    Tom @ Waegook Tom recently posted..Dear Travel Bloggers…

• On January 6, 2013 at 11:35 pm Sally said:

I KNOW, RIGHT? It’s like bacon and pizza = best. idea. ever. And, as far as I know, it’s a Southern thing (although, legend has it that it originated in NYC). So I’m thinking you should be able to get it anywhere in the South.

10. On January 6, 2013 at 11:45 pm Charlie said:

Well, there is watermelon and salt, and avocado and sugar, but they are tame in comparison to that collision of flavours you had there. I find that a brave choice. I would have looked at that and thought – that will never, ever work! I do love to have dessert before main course though (in case I get full) so this seems a bit like missing that step where you separate those two meal types. Time saving, I suppose!
    Charlie recently posted..Day 6: Near Misses

• On January 7, 2013 at 8:51 am Sally said:

I’ve never had watermelon and salt. But I did have salted watermelon flavored Kit-Kats in Japan. I know they sound vile. And they WERE vile, at first. But then after you have ten or so of them, you start to crave them. Especially if they happen to be the only thing in your fridge.

11. On January 6, 2013 at 11:52 pm Kieu ~ GQ trippin said:

Bahaha.. I thought it was a weird combo too until I tried it myself. I like eating popcorn with jalepenos at the movie theaters, or cream cheese and flaming hot cheetos! :P
    Kieu ~ GQ trippin recently posted..Our Bite of the Big Apple with Ahoy!

• On January 7, 2013 at 8:49 am Sally said:

I am so confused by this jalapenos with popcorn thing. Do you bring the jalapenos with you to the movie theater? And how on earth did you come up with this combo?

12. On January 7, 2013 at 2:35 am Cheryl said:

When I first heard of chicken and waffles, I was a bit dubious about how well that dish will go. I mean, who does that? Not me obviously. But, it looks like you had a great time, and since I totally trust you, I’m willing to put that place on my list for when I go to North Carolina next time.

I’ve tried beef and mango before. It’s not as wild as chicken and waffles, considering mango as that universal fruit additive to every single “novel” dish out there. It was pretty good actually. Not expecting it but it was good enough.
    Cheryl recently posted..Yearlong Personal Projects

• On January 7, 2013 at 8:48 am Sally said:

Beef and mango? Sounds interesting. I may have to try that — even though I’m usually not the type who likes to mix fruit with meat. But after mixing fried chicken with waffles I may just be up for anything!

13. On January 7, 2013 at 8:12 am Sid said:

I can’t do odd food combos. I can’t even mix peanut butter and jam. I think Americans refer to jam as jelly.
    Sid recently posted..Redi Tlhabi, Books, Soweto

14. On January 7, 2013 at 8:56 am Steph (@ 20 Years Hence) said:

The first time I heard about chicken & waffles together, I thought it was preposterous… but then I thought about all the salty-sweet breakfast combinations I love, and decided it was something I just had to have. I’ve never had a fancy, highfalutin version like the one you tried, but I suspect that so long as you have those two core ingredients, you cannot go wrong!
    Steph (@ 20 Years Hence) recently posted..Grappling with Greatness at the Great Wall

15. On January 7, 2013 at 3:45 pm Andi said:

That sounds divine. I love fried chicken, not too sure if I like it with the waffles. Sometimes it is a hit and other times not.
    Andi recently posted..Comment on Top Chef Treat in Napa – Cindy’s Backstreet Kitchen by Andi

• On January 10, 2013 at 6:27 pm Sally said:

You should try it. I definitely wasn’t expecting to like it as much as I did. I recommend getting the boneless cutlet, though. I think dealing with the bones and the waffles would get annoying.

16. On January 8, 2013 at 12:26 am cosmoHallitan said:

Mmmmm…I miss the South. If you have a chance, see if you can get your hands on a Moon Pie. They might still sell them an convenience stores. They are so bad for you but oh so good!
    cosmoHallitan recently posted..A Charming Bangkok Hideaway

17. On January 8, 2013 at 8:33 pm Maria said:

I grew up in the SE US and never heard of this dish before this year while in Austin, TX. They also serve Kimchi Fries in Austin. :-D

18. On January 9, 2013 at 9:52 am Katie (@wandertooth) said:

Sweet potato waffles? I had no idea you could do that! And also: salted watermelon Kit Kats? I do not remember seeing those in Japan…going to have to keep my eyes open next time. Looking forward to the Lemur-visiting tomorrow!
    Katie (@wandertooth) recently posted..The Bone Church in Kutna Hora, Czech Republic

• On January 10, 2013 at 6:19 pm Sally said:

I only saw the salted watermelon Kit-Kats once in my 3 years in Japan — they were a seasonal summertime offering… and they were never offered again. Probably because they were gross. And totally addictive.

19. On January 11, 2013 at 12:14 am Naomi said:

cheese and chocolate together is pretty common in Indonesia. Stuffed into buns and pastries. tastes great but really filling.
    Naomi recently posted..Now let’s just back up a bit why don’t we?

20. On January 16, 2013 at 9:54 pm Erica of Kizzling Around said:

OMG I LOVE CHICKEN AND WAFFLES!!!
    I need to go find some soon. Maybe after I recover from restaurant week. I feel like I’ve tried some bizarre combinations before, though none come to mind right this moment… or they just don’t phase me anymore. ;)
    Erica of Kizzling Around recently posted..Spicy Cochin

21. On February 16, 2013 at 1:09 pm Ceri said:

I never thought putting chili sauce on fruit would taste amazing but the truth it, Mexico got it right: Every single food on the planet tastes better with chili.
    Ceri recently posted..The Next Big Move

• On February 17, 2013 at 2:40 pm Sally said:

I’ve never even heard of that. Although, in Thailand they often served fruit with chili-salt or chili-sugar. So I guess it’s similar. Sounds weird, but totally tastes awesome.