Weeklyish Challengey Thingie: Boot Camp

January 3, 2013

IMG_0454

This week I’m staying with friends in DC. Well, I’ll call them friends. But after this morning I’m not so sure.

You see, last night said friends convinced me to join them at their boot camp class. I wasn’t going to go. I really wasn’t. Because, seriously, you guys, there is nothing about the combination of the words “boot” and “camp” that sounds good to me.

But then my friend said the eight magic words that can get me to do pretty much anything I really don’t want to do:

“You could write about it on your blog.”

And that’s how I found myself in a school gym.

At six o’clock in the morning.

While on my vacation.

How did this happen? Seriously. How?

How did this happen? Seriously, how?

You know how some things sound really painful and awful but end up being kind of awesome when you actually experience them?

Like karaoke.

And China.

And karaoke in China.

See? Not awful or painful at all? Well, at least not for ME. Possibly for the listeners.

See? Not awful or painful at all! Well, at least not for ME. Possibly for the listeners.

Well, boot camp is not one of those things. It sounds really painful and awful because it is really painful and awful.

I had to do push-ups, you guys!

Do you know when’s the last time I had to do a push-up?

Let me give you a hint: it starts with “n” and rhymes with “ever.”

Unfortunately, I had joined the boot camp on the day devoted to working out the arms.

And, well, I can’t say my arms have been getting many workouts lately. Unless lifting food to my face and excessive cat-petting count as working out.

Which they totally should.

My kind of bicep curl.

My kind of arms workout.

And for some reason almost all the exercises we did involved us standing on one leg or thrusting some part of our body in the air that doesn’t naturally go in the air. Because, apparently, standing on two legs while doing stuff is totally wimpy and not boot campy enough.

I also had the misfortune of standing next to someone who had been doing the boot camp classes forever and was super good at everything and at one point took it upon herself to remind the instructor that we hadn’t done enough one-legged bicep curls.

Well, doing a bicep curl while standing on one foot may be super hard.

But you know what’s even harder?

Doing all that while resisting the urge to punch the person next to you in the face.

Not that I could have punched her in the face.

Because, seriously, you guys, I couldn’t even feel my arms at that point let alone use them in any useful manner.

(Later my friends told me that she was a super nice person, so I felt kind of bad for hating her. But I just find it hard to believe that anyone that physically fit could be a nice person. I mean, she had obviously been raised by gorillas or trained by our government to kill. Because there’s really no other explanation for someone to have that much upper body strength.)

Despite all the one-legged bicep curls, I’m happy to report that I managed to make it through the entire hour-long class without dying.

Or having my arms fall off.

But I’m not so sure I’ll be joining a boot camp class again. Unless I can find classes that involve the lifting of cupcakes and the petting of cats.

Which they totally should.

Best. Workout. EVER.

Best. Workout. EVER.

What’s the hardest workout you’ve ever done?

P.S. The boot camp class I took was with Belin Sport & Fitness. They didn’t pay me anything to write this post or to make me say nice things about them. Which is probably a good thing as I didn’t say any nice things about them. But I will say that it was one heck of a workout. If you’re the type of person who’s into that kind of thing.

P.P.S. Did you fill out my reader survey yet? Please do! It’s much easier than a one-legged bicep curl. PROMISE.

1. On January 3, 2013 at 10:15 am Amanda @ Farsickness said:

I decided it would be a good idea to buy a Groupon for Bikram yoga so I could do some sort of exercise while I was home for Christmas. Because I never work out, so it makes sense to do it while on vacation…but anyway, it was the hardest thing I’ve ever done in my life. Possibly could be used as a form of torture. It went a lot like your bootcamp class. For 90 minutes.

Needless to say, I’m still looking for a form of working out that I don’t hate…
    Amanda @ Farsickness recently posted..13 Travel Blogs to Read in 2013

• On January 3, 2013 at 10:23 pm Sally said:

I thought about learning yoga this year. I’ve never done it and I’m the least flexible person on Earth. Your comment is really not selling it to me!

2. On January 3, 2013 at 10:48 am Carmel said:

I used to do those kind of classes 4 days a week. Mostly at 6am. Yep, I was that kind of person. I should probably get back to being that kind of person rather than the candy-eating slob I’ve become the past few months. Hmm….
    Carmel recently posted..Christmas Dinner & a Farewell (for now)

3. On January 3, 2013 at 10:59 am Terry Heubert said:

But you survived!!! And you didn’t even have to do any suicide drills!
    Terry Heubert recently posted..Plaza de Oriente | Madrid

4. On January 3, 2013 at 11:37 am cosmoHallitan said:

When I lived and worked in the DC area, one of my coworkers attended a bootcamp several mornings a week and I’m pretty sure she still does, rain or shine. I hope she wasn’t the one standing next to you! We all thought she was crazy for putting herself through that much torture, especially since she usually missed the Wednesday morning donut run.
    cosmoHallitan recently posted..Snapshot: Bangkok’s Amulet Market

5. On January 3, 2013 at 2:09 pm The Guy said:

You have my sympathy but for it to work you’ll have to go back again, and again and again!

I remember being in a rugby club and we did an aerobics session once. It was not for softies and a real challenge. It lasted for an hour and we all looked each other in the eyes as we saw the strain on everyones face. It was a battle to see who would cave first. Hilarious looking back now.
    The Guy recently posted..Book Review – Sihpromatum – I Grew My Boobs In China

6. On January 3, 2013 at 2:48 pm Ken C. said:

About 14 years ago [or so], I was temporarily in Lima, Peru, and had been visiting the Gold’s Gym there. Somehow, I got pressed into one of those “spinning” classes [group cycling on stationary bikes].

Yikes. I really couldn’t “hack it,” so I did the best I could, just hiding out in the back ranks. It was an excellent cardiovascular workout, but much too intense for me. They had a bit where you pedal standing up, like you see in the Tour de France; nope–might as well been asking for more bicep curls.

I’m not a fan of those workouts where the “leader” yells or shouts at you, and definitely wouldn’t pay money for that type of experience. I like to mosey along at my own slow-to-average pace, and low-to-medium level of exertion.

Oh, and Happy New Year!

• On January 3, 2013 at 10:15 pm Sally said:

I’ve done spinning before and, yeah, it’s INTENSE. Luckily, the room’s pretty dark so you can usually get away with kind of slacking off in the back. Or at least that’s what I did!

7. On January 3, 2013 at 10:27 pm Ashley Hufford said:

For Hannukah this past year, I did an ” 8 days of Feeling Uncomfortable” Challenge where I did 8 things that made me extremely uncomfortable. 2 out of the 8 were “work out” related things (a jump rope class called Punk Rope and an African Dance Class) because there is nothing I am worse at or hate more than working out.

This sounds like my own personal hell.

WIN YOU.

That is all.

~Ashley
    Ashley Hufford recently posted..LifeCast: The Best Movies of 2012

• On January 3, 2013 at 10:34 pm Sally said:

Omigod. I’m almost as horrible at jumping rope as I am at doing push-ups. I would have died during Punk Rope. But go you for trying! And I love the idea of doing 8 days of uncomfortable for Hannukah. What a great idea!

8. On January 3, 2013 at 11:30 pm Lauren said:

Nothing like a new year rolling through to make people turn to activities they would never normally consider such as: not eating chocolate on a nightly basis, drinking 2 litres of water and taking up extreme exercises (well in your case it was a blog post opportunity). I’m in my own private hell with the fun of activity of not eating anything with sugar added to it. I hope your arms will be OK tomorrow, from experience, sometimes it’s worse the next day…
    Lauren

• On January 4, 2013 at 7:57 am Kate said:

I have a serious sweet tooth, so in an effort to give up something meaningful for Lent last year, I abstained from sugar for the forty days. It damn well near killed me in the first two weeks, but by the end, I wasn’t even craving it. Plus I had way better energy.

Alas, I love sugar, so pretty soon after Lent I was back to my bad habits. Just wanted to say “keep it up!” It’ll feel good. 🙂
      Kate recently posted..January 1, 2013

• On January 4, 2013 at 8:08 am Sally said:

I gave up sugar for three months once — along with alcohol and all “white carbs”. I ALMOST DIED. And then as soon as the sugar-ban was done I went on a binge like you’ve never seen. I think I shoved an entire tray of Cinnabon in my face.
      Not to be discouraging or anything. I’m sure you’ll do awesome. 🙂

9. On January 5, 2013 at 2:40 pm Maria said:

Sounds like you’ve found a niche market – Sign me up for the cupcake curs and power pet session! 🙂

10. On January 5, 2013 at 5:58 pm Priya said:

don’t you wish you could have done a hot yoga class instead now? 🙂
    Priya recently posted..Technology Hates Me, And I Kind Of Hate It, Too

11. On January 12, 2013 at 11:30 am Barbara said:

Such a relief to read this post. If you’ve done a boot camp then I don’t have to! Yay me! Yay you!

I’ve been to a Pilates class this year as part of my new year-new fitness regime. Not sure when I’ll get to another one. 🙂

12. On March 4, 2013 at 10:44 pm Ceri said:

OMG, you’re a braver woman than me, Sally. No matter how good material it might make for my blog, no force on earth could drag me to a boot camp session. Eeek! Nada, nope, no!
    Ceri recently posted..Scenes from the Museo de Arte Moderno