Merry Christmas! I Made You Stuff!

December 29, 2012

IMG_9389

Happy Christmas, you guys!

Okay, so I realize this is a few days late. But we didn’t celebrate Christmas until Friday in my house. Because, hey, my family doesn’t need a silly calendar to tell us when to party! And because that’s the only day that the majority of us would be in town.

And, since we were already messing with tradition, we didn’t eat Christmas ham or turkey or goose or whatever the heck it is you’re supposed to eat on Christmas. We ate bacon-wrapped pork. Because the only way to make pork better is to wrap it in more pork, amirite?

Pork wrapped in pork. It's very meta.

Pork wrapped in pork. It’s very meta.

I figured since I had a few extra days to prepare I might finally become one of those people who’s really good at Christmas. You know, the kind of person who puts careful thought into what each person would really like and then goes out and gets exactly that.

Whelp, that didn’t happen.

Instead this did:

2012-12-27 22.56.53

Merry alcoholic Christmas, family!

After all, it’s the thought that counts, right?

Granted the only thought I was thinking during my frenzied hour-long shopping spree in the liquor store was, “I hope they share.”

But, hey, it could have been worse. I could have just given everyone “Christmas apples” like they do in China.

Proof that China just really doesn't get Christmas.

Proof that China really doesn’t get Christmas. At all. Like, not even a bit.

In my defense, I’ve been kind of busy, you guys.

You see, I’ve been using my time off of work to catch up on all those things I didn’t have any time to do during the semester, like, making doctor’s appointments and hanging out with friends and getting sauced with my grandma and watching every single episode of Toddlers and Tiaras EVER.

And I’ve been making presents for you.

Yep.

You!

I’m sure you’re all like, “Aww, you didn’t have to.”

But, seriously, you guys, I did have to.

You have been the awesomest this year.

You’ve left me tons of awesome comments, sent me emails and chatted with me on the Facebook and the Twitter.

You helped me win the Bloggie for Best Asian Weblog. (Thank you again, by the way. And your ponies are in the mail. Promise.)

You made me feel better every time I totally thought I was going to die while I was in China. Which was, like, every other week.

You listened to me whine about how I don’t know what I’m doing with my life for the fiftieth billionth time.

You stuck with me even after I left China and returned to the States and started to entirely blog about cheese. Even though I know a lot of you currently live in countries in Asia where cheese really isn’t a thing, so it couldn’t have been easy for you.

Not to rub it in or anything

Not to rub it in or anything

And, well, I can’t think of anything that says “Hey, thanks for being the awesomest” like a nice handmade present, can you?

Okay, don’t answer that.

Unfortunately, I didn’t get the crafty gene from my mom. Seriously, you guys, my mom is crazy-crafty. For Christmas, she made all the children in our family Raggedy Anne dolls. I should mention there are, like, a billion children in our family. And each doll took her, like, a billion hours to make. Because, apparently, she had to hand sew all their hair on. Instead of just using a hot glue gun which is totally what I would have done. And that’s probably the reason why I shouldn’t be allowed to make children’s toys.

IMG_9321

My mom made these. I’m starting to suspect she’s Martha Stewart. Or an elf.

The only thing I know how to make is spinach-artichoke dip. But I had a feeling that wouldn’t wrap very well.

I made this for you! And then ate it. You're welcome!

I made this! For you! And then ate it all! You’re welcome!

So, instead, I made you a bunch of stuff on the Internet.

First, I finished uploading all my photos from this summer for your viewing pleasure. Including photos from my last few weeks of traveling around China and my short trips to Macau and Vietnam.

Sure, uploading photos may not sound like much hard work. And, okay, it’s not exactly on par with hand sewing on doll hair. But I assure you it was ABSOLUTE TORTURE.

TORTURE, I SAY!

Seriously, there is nothing like going through a billion photos of amazing Vietnamese food and crack-filled coffee to make you realize what you’re missing in your life.

Namely, crack.

Mmm.... crack.

Mmm…. crack.

But I did it for you!

Yep.

You!

I even uploaded a few albums of photos from my past few months at home – including that time I went to Toronto and never even told you. Probably because this happened:

... and then a plastic moose attacked my face. And that's why you should never go to Canada.

What can I say? I like to keep my romantic relationships private. At least when they involve moose.

Then, I made you this survey in which you can finally tell me what you really think of my blog and give me some advice on what you’d like to see me talk about on here. Besides, you know, cheese and booze.

And, then, as if I hadn’t done enough for you already, I booked some travel tickets for you.

Yep.

You!

Okay, so maybe the travel tickets are actually for myself. But, I assure you, I was totally thinking about you when I booked them.

You see, over the next two weeks, I’ll be traveling to DC and North Carolina to visit friends and then stopping briefly in New York City on my way back. But rather than flying to my destinations, like, you know, sane people would do, I’ll be taking trains and buses the whole way. Which means I’ll be traveling for, like, a million-billion hours.

I’m doing this partly because I’m broke and crazy. And partly because I knew it would give me lots of material for a blog post. Or, umm, twenty-five blog posts. Depending on how long I want to stretch this thing out.

Plus, I know how you all love blurry photos taken from train and bus windows.

Oooo, blurry.

Oooo, blurry.

So, really, it may sound like I booked those tickets for myself.

But I really booked them for you.

Yep.

You!

You’re welcome.

What’s your favorite gift that you’ve ever received this year? Besides, of course, all the ones I just gave you right now?

P.S. Pretty please click on this link & fill out the survey. It’s super easy and short and you don’t have to log in or anything. I’ll love you forever and ever for doing it. I may even give you another pony.

P.P.S. Have any suggestions on stuff I should see or do in DC, North Carolina or New York City? Or maybe have a suggestion for what I should do during my million-billion hours of travel time? Let me know!

1. On December 29, 2012 at 9:51 pm Jacob Yount said:

What part of NC are you visiting? You can visit the Biltmore Estate in Asheville. Also, Boone in the other mountains is a nice city and area to hack around; but it will be very cold. I’ve lived in both the mountains and the coast of NC and love both. The beaches in NC are quiet, not very commercial.

Merry Christmas to you and family, Sally
    Jacob Yount recently posted..China Development Leads to Fierce Competition

• On December 29, 2012 at 9:54 pm Sally said:

I’ll be in Durham, but I think I’m going to try to get to Raleigh for a day, if we can. Thanks for the suggestions! And a merry Christmas to you, too!

2. On December 29, 2012 at 9:57 pm Priya said:

I am typing this as my iPod is about to die and as I’m stealing Internet because my house Internet doesn’t want to work anymore and I don’t know how to fix it. I am jealous of your two week travel adventure and a little sad that one of those stops isnt Chicago. But it’s ok. I love you anyway. And not just because you promised me a pony.
    Priya recently posted..My Non-Burrito Date

3. On December 29, 2012 at 9:59 pm Melissa said:

How long will you be in DC?!? My first and foremost recommendation is to eat at Graffiato. Its glorious.

4. On December 29, 2012 at 10:07 pm nancyVbie said:

Have a great journey! (and safe…) :D
    We’ll be waiting for the posts.
    And our Christmas gifts.

5. On December 30, 2012 at 12:43 am Cheryl said:

Sounds like you’re going on a super fun adventure filled with bumpy rides in the next few weeks! I can’t say I’m not envious of you for spending the beginning of the new year backpacking (almost) across North America. Damn, girl! You are one travel princess!

Anyway, make sure you catch a Broadway show in New York. And when you do, you can pretend that you’ve bought tickets for me too. I won’t get jealous and mad, I promise. Just get me the playbill and we’re all good… I think.

Well, have a safe and fun trip! And don’t forget to bring along your ponies! You’ll need your bodyguards.
    Cheryl recently posted..New Year’s Eve Traditions

6. On December 30, 2012 at 1:44 am Mindy said:

I live in Raleigh, please come visit! The NC Museum of Art is the usual travel rec and it is beautiful but if you’re looking for something different try Roast Grill (this little old hole in the wall just serves hot dogs), Oakwood cemetery, RDU observation deck, Krispy Kreme on Peace St, or Eastern NC style BBQ. Depending on your dates, Drag Bingo and Roller Derby are a lot of fun!

In DC I love to eat the National Museum of the American Indian and in NYC the Highline is a must.

7. On December 30, 2012 at 2:07 pm kathy said:

NYC for just a day? Well you have to go to the top of the Empire State building and turn towards Connecticut and wave hello to me!
    And I would most definitely like a white pony.

8. On December 30, 2012 at 3:00 pm Penguinlady said:

I will wave when you get to DC (I live to the north in Clarksburg MD). Look for the drag queen breakfast at Perry’s!

9. On December 30, 2012 at 8:53 pm Tom @ Waegook Tom said:

I totally did your survey. Although I have to say, I’m not all that keen on ponies. Any chance I can substitute the pony for, say, some vodka?

Also unless your mum’s done some jail time, I’d be willing to bet that she’s an elf, rather than Martha Stewart. Or, the Martha Stewart of the elf world.
    Tom @ Waegook Tom recently posted..The Double Whammy Review!

• On December 31, 2012 at 7:06 am Sally said:

Martha Stewart of the elf world? Totally possible.
      And thanks for filling out the survey. Yes, vodka is totally doable. I’ll send yours via unicorn as you’re extra special. :)

10. On December 31, 2012 at 10:12 am Carmel said:

Money, only because it gets us a little closer to our travel plans. We didn’t really get gifts this year. Oh wait, we got a Peyton Manning jersey and that was pretty awesome.
    Carmel recently posted..Christmas Dinner & a Farewell (for now)

11. On January 1, 2013 at 6:47 am budget jan said:

You are not the only person who has wrapped me up some travel and put it under the tree. Nope. My Secret Santa in the family, whom of course is Unsecret, wrapped me a box of tea samples from around the world, so ever since I have been tripping to Sri Lanka, India, and Stockholm (who would have thought). There are bits of flowers and orange skin and they smell pretty awesome.
    Not as nice as your thoughtful present of course…
    budget jan recently posted..Tuesday in Townsville

12. On January 1, 2013 at 9:39 am Stephanie - The Travel Chica said:

In NYC, check out the Ahoy Food Tour of Little Italy and Chinatown. There is cheese!
    Stephanie – The Travel Chica recently posted..8 Travel highlights of 2012 and why it is important to think about it

13. On January 2, 2013 at 4:20 am Sid said:

You went to Toronto and didn’t tell us about it? I’m hurt. Is there anything else you’re hiding from? Secret kids? Husband???
    Sid recently posted..Crazy/beautiful – Christmas

14. On March 4, 2013 at 10:13 pm Ceri said:

The best thing I got for Christmas was definitely everything you’ve given us … even if I’m now looking at it 2.5 months late. :P

And I’ll be looking at your blog for NYC recommendations because I’m heading there in 4 weeks! :D Haaaa!
    Ceri recently posted..Scenes from the Museo de Arte Moderno