Weeklyish Challengey Thingie: Buy Some Lady Shoes

May 9, 2012

A miracle has happened, you guys!

I found lady shoes in my size! And I didn’t even have to leave the country!

Now, I know this may not qualify as a miracle in your book, but it should be obvious to you by now that we’re reading from two totally different books here.

You see, I have large feet — even by American standards. I usually wear an American size 10 or 11, which is a size 42 or 43 in China.

Even in the States, I have trouble finding shoes that fit me. Or, at least, shoes that fit and are cute at the same time. Because, apparently, shoe designers think girls with big feet don’t like cute things.

Either that or all the big-footed-girls have beat me to the cute things.

But finding cute lady shoes in my size in Asia is pretty much impossible.

Heck, finding any shoes in my size in Asia can be tricky.

Flip-flop of the gods outside of a temple in Tokyo. These might actually fit me.

The last time I bought new running shoes in China, I had to buy the largest pair of men’s shoes they had available.

The shop attendant thought I was totally kidding and kept on trying to get me to cram my feet into smaller shoes. When she finally realized that I wasn’t playing some elaborate game of Mess With the Local, she got this look on her face.

It was like a combination of horror and disbelief.

Mostly horror.

Probably because she was worried I might start marauding around town eating helpless village folk.

Washing down my lunch of village folk. With a lychee cosmopolitan. As you do.

Before my trip to the Harbin this past January, I spent days scouring every single store in Wuxi searching for a pair of boots that would fit me.

The night before my trip, I finally found a pair of Uggs-like boots in my size in one of the grocery stores.

They’re really huge and make my feet look even more Sasquatch-like than usual.

Cold weather makes you do bad things. Like buy Uggs.

In fact, it’s possible they’re not even boots, but slippers for giant people who never leave the house for fear of sending the village people into a panic. Or possibly they’re hoof-coverings for cows or some other large livestock animals.

But, hey, they kept me from freezing off any of my toes as I was scrambling around in all the ice and snow. This was a good thing as I kind of like my toes. Even though, losing a few of them might mean I could, quite possibly, fit into a size eight. Do you know how many cute shoes I could buy if I were a size eight? I mean, do you?

I knew before I moved to China that I would have trouble finding shoes here, but I still only brought two pairs of shoes with me. I didn’t even bring a pair of sandals because, apparently, I thought my feet would have to be fully covered the entire time I was in China.

You see, I was going through this really annoying minimalist stage in my life right before I moved here. I had just spent a year roughing it in Southeast Asia during which I wore the same pair of flip-flops every single day. That is when I was being all fancy by wearing footwear. Quite often I was barefoot as shoes aren’t really recommended in the rice paddy — as you need your toes to help you grip the mud so you don’t fall down so much.

Shoes, schmoes.

When I arrived home, I started giving away all my personal belongings without a worry in the world that I might actually, you know, need some stuff in China.

Because, hey, I was a rolling stone!

This rolling stone didn’t need strappy sandals! Or really any sandals! At all!

All I needed was two pairs of sensible black flats, and I’d be fine, right?

Well, this rolling stone might not have gathered much moss.

But my shoes certainly have.

Or maybe that’s mold they’ve been gathering.

Either way, after a year of non-stop wear, my two pairs of shoes are on the brink of disintegration.

I knew the day would come when I’d either have to break down and buy some men’s dress shoes so I’d have something appropriate to wear to work. Or get really crafty with some super glue and spray paint.

And then the miracle happened.

Yes, that miracle.

I was in this huge sporting goods store in Shanghai this weekend, when I rounded a corner and spotted a big huge rack of sporty Mary Jane shoes. And there at the very tippy top of the rack was a pair in my size.

Now, I’m not usually into sporty shoes. Mostly because I’m not really into sports. Or really anything that reminds me of gym class.

But I knew I needed those shoes.

They had flowers on them, you guys. Do you know how long it’s been since I’ve been able to buy shoes with flowers on them? I mean, do you?

Flowers!

Unfortunately, the pair I needed was way out of my reach. They were at least eight feet up because, apparently, any lady with feet as large as mine must also be some kind of giantess.

But I wasn’t about to let that stop me from getting them. I positioned myself below the rack and started jumping up and down. And waving my arms frantically above my head. And grunting. Loudly.

This didn’t work.

I glanced around in search of a salesperson to help me.

There was no one.

I found this a bit odd as in most stores in China there always seems to be a salesperson hovering around trying to convince you to buy something they think you totally need – like two pounds of laundry detergent or individually packaged chicken feet.

Can I interest you in a nice chicken foot or two?

But for some reason there was no staff to be seen that day. It’s possible they were all just hiding in the backroom waiting for the big-footed, grunty, white woman to go away and not eat any of them.

Undeterred, I came up with a genius plan to throw one of the smaller pairs of shoes from a lower shelf at the larger pair of shoes on the top shelf in the hopes of dislodging them.

I should probably mention here that I’m not particularly good at throwing stuff. Or at least, I’m not good at throwing stuff at any kind of target. I can throw stuff. But there’s really no telling where that stuff might land.

But, hey, being surrounded by all those athletic goods kind of made me feel athletic — or at least like a person who was born with hand-eye coordination.

Luckily for me, my scheme totally worked.

The shoes tumbled into my hands.

I shoved them on to my feet.

And they fit.

I’m telling you guys, it was just like that moment at the end of Cinderella. Except these shoes weren’t made of glass. Plus, I don’t remember Cinderella having to hurl stuff around in the middle of a sporting goods store. She probably just had some mice do that for her.

And, then, as I was moseying through the sandal aisle, I came across this pair of lovely lady sandals in my size. Look, they have flowers on them, too! And I didn’t even have to throw anything to get them.

More flowers! Bestill my heart!

Seriously, it was like the sporting goods store of miracles! Miracles, I say!

(Yes, yes, I know. This is not your definition of the word “miracle.” But, if the word “miracle” can be used to describe a type of mayonnaise, I’m pretty sure I can use it to talk about shoes.)

Have you ever had a shopping miracle? What did you buy?

1. On May 9, 2012 at 2:30 pm Susanna said:

For the last few weeks I have been obsessively building a collection of giant ladyshoes to take to China as I know I’ll have the same problem. I wonder how many pairs I’ll need to last me a whole year, and through temperatures ranging from freeeezing to boiling?

Give me the address of your sporting goods store just in case I have a similar footwear emergency! :)
    Susanna recently posted..In memory everything seems to happen to music

• On May 9, 2012 at 2:46 pm Sally said:

Well, I’d definitely suggest more than two pairs; although my two pairs have held up surprisingly well considering I’ve worn them almost everyday for longer than a year. My one pair of flats finally fell completely apart this week (just after I bought my new pair — like I said, MIRACLE!). And my other pair are still intact but they’ve been worn down so much that they kind of hurt to wear.
      Oh, and I’d definitely bring some warm boots (you may have to bite the bullet and buy Uggs… I know they’re hideous, but they’re really the best kind of boots for China since they’re so insulated) and a pair cute sandals. You should be able to get some basic flip-flops here, but I really miss cute sandals that aren’t made out of plastic.
      The sporting goods store I went to was a Decathlon — it’s a chain & I’m sure they have stores in other major cities in China. They had a few select women’s shoes up to Chinese size 42, but not much. I didn’t see any women’s sneakers in my size, unfortunately.
      When do you finally move here? Are you super excited or what?

• On May 9, 2012 at 2:53 pm Susanna said:

I have sandals and some flat work-ish shoe-things and some boots with furry stuff inside so hopefully I’m almost good to go. I’m supposed to be in China by the end of August so I can settle in a bit before the semester starts. Until then there’s the horrific mountain of visa-application-stuff to climb…

• On May 9, 2012 at 3:03 pm Sally said:

Ooo, good luck with the visa stuff. I had to go through a visa service as I had only about a week to sort everything out while I was in the States. Of course, I spent the entire week having a heart attack for fear that it wouldn’t come through in time… but, still, everything got sorted. And I didn’t have to personally go to any Embassies. Yay!
          Good luck & I’m sorry I’ll be missing you when you come to China!

2. On May 9, 2012 at 2:51 pm Steph (@ 20 Years Hence) said:

I have the exact opposite issue (ish-shoe?), because I have freaskishly tiny feet. I mean, I myself am only 4’11″, so it’s not actually freaky that I have little feet. So in that respect, I am actually super pumped about Asia because I am assuming that this will be shoe heaven for me!

On the other hand, I am super worried about what might happen if I find myself needing shirts or pants. Because I’ve got little feet, but I’ve also got hips. And boobs. So I am thinking clothing shopping is gonna be a no-go. My friend L’Ell lived in Japan for 2 years and she is a perfectly normal size (by North American standards) but whenever she shopped there, they told her her size was “jumbo”. Eek!

Also, being short, I have used the “catapult one item at another higher item to dislodge it” technique MANY times.
    Steph (@ 20 Years Hence) recently posted..A Tale of Two Backpacks

• On May 9, 2012 at 3:11 pm Sally said:

I’m definitely a big girl by Asian standards (I usually wear an American size 12), so finding clothes that fit can take some doing. Oddly, I’ve had much better luck in China than I did when I was living in Japan, even though I was quite a bit smaller when I was in Japan.
      I can usually find shirts despite the fact that I do have boobs (although I sometimes have to cut out the tags so I don’t see all the X’s). I’ve also had some success finding skirts & dresses that fit. But pants are pretty much impossible for me to find here. I have found some athletic-type pants at H&M and other Western chains, but that’s about it. I know a lot of ladies who get their clothes custom-made at a tailor, so that might be a good option for you. I’m just glad I did stock up on pants before I came! I just wish I had brought more shoes!

3. On May 9, 2012 at 2:55 pm Dorcas said:

Ah I too have giant lady feet, UK 9 which I think is a 43, so this does not bode well for me before I come to China. At least I now know to stock up before I come!!! Well except on faux ugg slippers, if they are so readily available in supermarkets!

• On May 9, 2012 at 3:00 pm Sally said:

Well, to be honest, the faux Ugg slippers took me about 5 days of searching to find! I guess everyone with giant feet had already snapped those suckers up. So, yes, definitely stock up before you come!

• On May 10, 2012 at 11:49 am Dorcas said:

Hmm what about buying online, like lovelyshoes.net have a plus size footwear section – its weird to think of my feet as ‘plus size’ – it goes up to a 43 I think in most shoes. I wanted to order from there here in the UK but shipping costs as much as the shoe itself so I’d rather try them out when I’m in China, but have you tried ordering from a Chinese website?

• On May 10, 2012 at 1:33 pm Sally said:

I don’t read Chinese so I haven’t tried any of the Chinese sites. Plus, I usually have trouble buying shoes (or any clothes really) off the Internet. The few shoes I’ve bought have either been way too big or way too small. And I’m too lazy to send stuff back (especially if it requires me to use any amount of Chinese!). So I guess I’ll just be happy with my lady shoe finds from the weekend!
          And, yeah, I don’t know if my self confidence could deal with my having to buy “plus size” shoes. My feet aren’t fat! They’re just big-boned. :)

4. On May 9, 2012 at 3:06 pm Marta said:

http://www.pegazimielski.pl/OBUWIE_DAMSKIE_BALERINA_CZERWONE_NR_WZORU_2079-230.html Look what I found for you. It’s Polish 44-45 = US 10-11.

I remember looking for a bra in Mexico… In Poland the bravolution started about 5 years ago, before you couldn’t find anything bigger than DD, and if you found it, it usually was 40DD, beige and old-lady-like. Now you can buy here super nice girly bra with lace, pretty colours and flowers even in size 32GG. When I asked about such bra in Mexico, the ladies in the shop were staring at me with this look on their face “C’mon girl, you’re overestimating your size, boobs bigger than DD simply don’t exist”, or they were trying to convince me that “It’s surely DD, do you really pronounce D as G in Poland?” Ghhh…

5. On May 9, 2012 at 3:17 pm Audrey | That Backpacker said:

Haha, I wore the most mismatched outfit to a wedding in India because I figured I’d be able to find beautiful pointed slippers in my size….fail! :D I don’t want to think about shoe shopping in Korea; summer is fast approaching and I’ll have to start shoe hunting soon!
    Audrey | That Backpacker recently posted..The EngRish Edition: Cracker Sand

6. On May 9, 2012 at 4:32 pm Emily in Chile said:

I snorted while reading this – hysterical! I can relate because at 5’9″ and a size 40 in shoes, I am a giant in Chile, albeit not quite as much of a giant as I’m sure you are in China. Still enough to get strangers saying “you’re tall” though, which is always an awkward comment because really, where does the conversation go from there? Congrats on the new shoes!
    Emily in Chile recently posted..Review: Casa Valparaíso Hostel

• On May 10, 2012 at 12:26 am Sally said:

I’m not really that tall — only about 5’7″ (okay, more like 5’6″). So I’m not exactly towering over people here, but I still end up feeling like some massive ogre most of the time as I am about twice the size of most women here. In the States, I’m not considered that big — just average really. But here I’m huge.
      The other week I was at a spa with some friends, and the masseuses kept telling my friends how beautiful they were and then they turned to me and were like, “You have big muscles.” Umm, gee, thanks?

7. On May 9, 2012 at 5:40 pm Andi of My Beautiful Adventures said:

OMG I wish someone could have videotaped you doing this haha! Such an awesome score!!!
    Andi of My Beautiful Adventures recently posted..Macau: Day 1

8. On May 9, 2012 at 5:41 pm Ava Apollo said:

I arrived in Taipei with leather Rainbow flip flops and wannabe Uggs. Of course, it’s extremely humid there and rains more days than it doesn’t. Why did I think leather flip flops would work? Actually, why do flip flops that can’t get wet even exist?

Now I have a bunch of shoes that don’t really fit because apparently if you arent a size 6 or smaller in Taiwan you’re SOL. Also? I went jean shopping and only found up to a size 26. Are you freaking kidding me?? I have never felt like more of a casper giant.
    Ava Apollo recently posted..Wednesday Getaway – Arenal, Costa Rica

9. On May 9, 2012 at 10:08 pm Daisy said:

Not just one pair, but two pairs of pretty shoes!

I am so happy for you! It must have been an amazing feeling. Congrats!

• On May 10, 2012 at 12:19 am Sally said:

I was seriously on cloud nine! My friend had gone with me and when I came out of the store with my bags full of new lady shoes, she was like, “I’ve never even seen you like this!”

10. On May 9, 2012 at 11:37 pm MaryAnne said:

You were in Shanghai and you didn’t tell me? My heart is broken! Mind you, I’m glad you found the shoes. Were they at Decathlon? The height of the shelf for large sizes reminds me of my attempt to buy hiking shoes there. I’m a 41/42 for closed heel shoes so had to make that stretch too. You got yourself some pretty shoes there. Impressed.
    MaryAnne recently posted..What Does it Take For a Girl to Get a Passport Around Here? Adventures in Being Canadian Abroad

• On May 10, 2012 at 12:18 am Sally said:

Aww, sorry! It was a very unplanned, spur-of-the-moment, need-to-do-12-things-in-3-hours kind of thing. And, yes, I was at the Decathlon. I wish I had had more time as I found so much good stuff there. Although, it’s probably best I had a time limit, as I’m pretty sure I would have went home with every lady shoe in my size in that store.

11. On May 10, 2012 at 12:21 am James @ Fly, Icarus, Fly said:

Wait. If the shoes were so high that you couldn’t reach them, how in the world did you know that they were your size? Is it like when a car flips over and the mother gets superpowers to get her child out from under? Amazing. Now that you’ve found new shoes (With! Flowers!) you now have no reason to move back to… (gulp!) BuFfAlO!
    James @ Fly, Icarus, Fly recently posted..Cambodian New Year – Asia’s Groundhog Day

• On May 10, 2012 at 12:30 am Sally said:

Yes, I have secret shoes super powers. You don’t want to know what I can do with an espadrille. :)
      Well, actually, there was just a little sign in front of each shelf of shoes that had their size printed on them. So the biggest sizes were all at the top… for the giant ogre people.

12. On May 10, 2012 at 1:15 am Waegook Tom said:

Congratulations! Luckily my feet are normal size for a British guy and normal in Korea, too (Korean guys are pretty large for Asians) so finding shoes is never too tricky.

Your next mission should be to find shoes with unicorns on them. Or make a pair of paper-mache ones yourself. Weekly challenge?
    Waegook Tom recently posted..North Carolina Sucks

13. On May 10, 2012 at 9:54 am Ruby said:

Hey, wonderfully giant footed ladies in China!
    I will share my secret of finding lady-like size 42′s here with you all – taobao! While I don’t recommend working out how to use the site yourself (which would surely lead to shopping addiction and bankruptcy immediately, at least in my case!) have a look at the pretty shoes in this shop and get your lovely Chinese girlfriends to help you buy a pair or two!
    Happy shopping!
    Ruby up in the ‘Jing

• On May 10, 2012 at 1:38 pm Sally said:

Oh my, I’ve heard of the wonders of taobao but haven’t tried it. I don’t know if my wallet could survive! But thanks for the suggestion… I may just take a looksie. :)

14. On May 10, 2012 at 10:09 am Selly said:

I can totally relate. The mere thought of shoe shopping induces nightmares. At this stage I know if I don’t find shoes that fit in the first store I go to I won’t find any anywhere else. That’s just a fact, I’ve tried to prove myself wrong countless of times but so far the result has always been equivalent to running head first against a brick wall. Thankfully they make runners in my size (though I tend to just resolve to buying the men’s size since women’s runners in this country are mostly bright pink…not that there’s anything wrong with bright pink but I simply cannot wear something on my feet that looks like it may have been a Hello Kitty doll in it’s previous life!). So I pretty much just wear runners all the time and slip into something uncomfortable when I am at work where I am mostly just sitting anyway so whatever I wear just has to look pretty but doesn’t need to actually be wearable.

• On May 10, 2012 at 1:37 pm Sally said:

See, I really LOVE shoe shopping when I’m in a country that sells shoes in my size. In fact, once when I was living in Japan, I went to Guam for a weekend and ended up coming back with, like, 10 pairs of new shoes. Of course, that was back before I was a minimalist. Man, I miss those days! :)
      But, yeah, now that I can’t actually ever find anything that fits me it’s not my idea of a good time.

15. On May 10, 2012 at 11:48 am Karen McCann said:

There are few things more thrilling than finding the perfect pair of shoes. And by that I mean shoes that fit you and you won’t fall over when you wear them. I was recently on the hunt for shoes to photograph for my book cover, and (yielding to public pressure) I went with ultracolorful stiletto heels. Just trying them on in the store made my feet cringe in terror. So I made a deal with my feet: they never have to wear these shoes and, in return, they won’t object if I prominently display the stilettos in my closet, just to upgrade the atmosphere.

16. On May 10, 2012 at 12:46 pm Heather said:

Hooray!!!

It would be like me trying to find pants in Asia. I saw in a comment that you usually go for 12s and right now I’m a 12.5 if that’s possible. I have a hard time fitting my shape at home — something about my proportions doesn’t fit any size properly. So I consider it a small miracle when I actually find a proper fitting size of pants at home. I only have a few and the rest are too big. I’m too cheap to have them all tailored after buying them.
    Heather recently posted..Return from Australia: One year later

• On May 10, 2012 at 1:28 pm Sally said:

I’ve actually had better luck finding pants here than shoes — not that I’ve had MUCH luck… But I have found some athletic pants & capris here, much to my surprise. Like you, I usually have to have my pants altered because, apparently, my body is all weird. But, luckily, if I buy them when I’m at home, my Mom fixes them for me. Just one more reason to go home — new pants and a mom who will fix them for me!

17. On May 10, 2012 at 2:55 pm Priya said:

Aw, I want some lady shoes! Though I really have no trouble finding lady shoes as my feet are quite normal. (Not to brag or anything). Actually, I usually have trouble finding shoes that are comfortable. Though feet experts might a argue that my feet are small enough for a 6 ish, I like to disagree and go on the wild side and get 7/ 7 ½ sizes and sometimes 8 in boots. Though I should really stop getting 8s in boots b/c I’ve notice that they can be a bit big on me. Strange. I do have a few dresses in my closet that I’ve never worn. One of them is a dress from the kardashian collection. That’s right. I said the kardashian collection. I got it from this fancy-high end thrifty place with the tag still on it. And I was with a friend and she made me try it on and then she did one of those things where she said it looked amazing on me and so I bought it. And now it’s hanging in my closest. It will be worn. One day. Maybe.
    Priya recently posted..What I’ve Been Doing With My Life Since My Last Blog Post/ Almost Getting Evicted

18. On May 10, 2012 at 4:19 pm Dyanne@TravelnLass said:

“Have you ever had a shopping miracle?”

Well not any particular miracle shopping item, but I dare say – does stumbling upon an entire MIRACLE STORE in Asia, count?

Given my life-long penchant, nay OBSESSION with compulsively grazing the “Goodwill” back home in the U.S. every blessed week, I knew in my heart that there was no way I’d find any such clothing heaven here in Ho Chi Minh City.

For three months I went cold-turkey. Not only no thrift store sugar highs, but Asian duds in general are all sized for anorexic 10 year olds. Indeed, I could barely get a t-shirt over my head. ;(

And then one day the dark clouds parted, and a gleaming light streamed down on the streets of Saigon. I casually asked a Vietnamese chum if there was anything resembling a Goodwillesque clothing thrift shop in this nutso city.

“Sure,” she replied, “dozens of such shops – a whole street of them – in District 3, we can go there now if you like.”

Uh, yes Hang. “I like”.

You can read the outcome in my (aptly titled) “That settles it – now I may NEVER come home!” post at TravelnLass: http://tinyurl.com/7n6vsq3

Ah yes, this whole clothing thing has GOT to be the most challenging issue for we expats. (and dontevengetmestarted on the panties situation – grim I tell ya, utterly grim.)

In short, whoever it was that said “Oh, no need to pack it, you can buy ANYTHING over there.”, uh… ought to be SHOT!
    Dyanne@TravelnLass recently posted..WWWWhat Inspired My Addictio… errr Love of Travel

• On May 11, 2012 at 3:38 am Sally said:

Anyone who ever says “You can just buy it there” has obviously never been handed a shirt in size XXXXL.
      And this store of miracles sounds amazing. I must get myself to Saigon soon!

19. On May 10, 2012 at 4:41 pm jan said:

I thought I was going to have a shopping miracle, but it never happened, and I do not know why.
    In my last one hour in Granada, I remembered I had told my father I would get him a shirt from Spain as I always get him a shirt whenever I go on holidays.
    So I thought O.K. – what I am after is a Mens size polo shirt, with a pocket (he requested one) and an tiny embroidered Bull on it (like the Polo ones) because Spains/Bulls, you know.
    And I looked all over in the one hour that I had, and I NEVER FOUND ONE!
    My miracle never happened…

20. On May 12, 2012 at 11:00 am sarahinguangzhou said:

Congrats; the problem us bigfoots have in China is unrecognized.
    I actually resorted to painting some man trainers pink and purple to get something girly to wear.

21. On May 13, 2012 at 4:45 pm Kyle said:

LOL, and the Chileans make me feel like I have big feet and I wear a size 7! When I went shopping for shoes with my mother in law and sister in law they were like, yeaaaah, shoes for people with big feet…are over there. Haha!
    Kyle recently posted..Good Reads

22. On May 14, 2012 at 4:36 am Ayngelina said:

You wear a 10 or 11??? But you are so small?

When I lived in the Philippines I met a Dutch girl, obviously tall, and she told me she tried to go into a clothes store and a woman stopped her and said – no! you too big! like King Kong.

She went home crying, it still makes me laugh!
    Ayngelina recently posted..David battles Goliath in Moloka’i

• On May 15, 2012 at 12:49 am Sally said:

Oh, Ayngelina, it’s so obvious we’ve never met in person. I am not small by any definition of the word, but thanks for telling me I look that way on the Internet!
      And, yes, I’ve gotten the King Kong (or similar big-footed, large-bodied mythological creature) comments myself. Like once my Thai friend told me I walked like Santa Claus. It’s no fun when you hear it at the time. But later it does make you laugh… usually.

23. On May 14, 2012 at 8:31 am choi kum fook said:

Are you 5’6″ in height? Apparently, you might be look above 5’9″.Do you know that, you were the tallest lady worked as volunteer at the farm so far.Miss Sally,the size of your foot is a bit slightly not proportional to your height as I think. Anyway, you are lucky, can get size of shoes or flip flop in China. I was no idea, were you worked as barefoot, weeding in padi field and clearing the banana leaves and small stumps on bunch or field path as well in the farm? SHOES!It is concerned to be very important and significant to human being! Nobody can quit it in lifetime! I have amazed by the illustrative pictures of the shoes or flip flog in the post! One day, I love and need to visit big shoes”s shop to see the different pattern and funny shoes! GRACIOUS! Miss Sally!

24. On May 14, 2012 at 3:20 pm Ceri said:

Freaking awesome, hun! It was definitely your day. :D

I’m a UK Size 7 in shoes (US – Size 9.5) and when I went to buy some in Chiapas, Mexico, (where everyone and their grandmother is five feet shorter than me), the woman at the shoe shop looked at me like I was smoking crack when she kept bringing me the next size up and it was *still* too small. Eventually she got me a pair of Converse from the men’s section. Ha!

I do worry about getting shoes in Eastern Asia though. I plan to head there next year. I guess I’ll take a suitcase full of shoes just to be ready then. What’s the postal system like in China? (In case I wanted to order something from the interweb).
    Ceri recently posted..My Spiritual Awakening

• On May 15, 2012 at 12:45 am Sally said:

I’ve only had one package sent to me & it got here just fine, but I’ve heard lots of stories of packages getting lost in the mail or getting held up at customs, so I don’t know if I’d chance it. Plus, you’d probably have to pay a bundle to get it over here. But, according to my savvy readers, there are all kind of big shoe options available on the Chinese Internet. (Let’s just say I’m happy I’m finding this out NOW — two months before I leave. It was hard enough to hold on to my paycheck as it was!) So maybe the best idea is to find a Chinese friend to help you order off of one of Taobao or one of the other Chinese internet shopping sites.

25. On May 31, 2012 at 1:02 pm Alex said:

I wear a US size 12 in women’s shoes. I have time finding women’s shoes in my size at home, not to mention in China.

Unfortunately, anything that could go wrong on the shoe front did. I got bedbugs in Hong Kong, and had to get rid of my pair of shoes from home. My miracle replacement shoes literally disintegrated as I wore them a little over four months later. The interior of the shoe got a large hole in the heel, and the bottom of the shoe wore away. I found this out during a rainstorm that flooded our streets. Not so fun!

The biggest pair of shoes I could find was a size 11. My feet are not very happy, but at least I have something to wear. I am so looking forward to shoe shopping when I get home!

26. On July 31, 2012 at 3:24 pm Montecristo Travels said:

laughing so hard, we need kleenex. Well, we had one such miracle … a splendidn winter coat – perfect for Canadian Winters … bought in … Athens – Greece of all plces. 8 years later … still wearign it. :)

• On August 2, 2012 at 12:54 am Sally said:

Sounds like a great coat! I didn’t even know they sold winter coats in Greece. Go figure!

• On August 2, 2012 at 2:45 pm Montecristo Travels said:

well I was told later that they have skiing in Greece – not in Athens (Duh) but I guess the folks from Athens go skiing…. still I LOVE the look on peoples face when they say “OMG LOooove your Coat where did you get it?” .. “Athens” … “whaaat… huh?” – Ah classic world traveler moment. :)

1. unbrave girl | Where to Next?