Announcing: The Best of Unbrave Girl Free eBook!

July 18, 2011

Guess what, readers?

Remember when I was all like, “I’m going to start writing a book this summer”?

And you were all like, “Yeah! Go for it! Can’t wait to read it”?

And I was all like, “Wow, this book-writing thing is hard. Maybe I’ll just have some more beer and ice cream and think about what I’m going to write for a little bit. And then maybe I’ll watch a couple episodes of Master Chef, you know, for inspiration… and, uh, take a nap… and, boy, my apartment sure could use some cleaning”? (Okay, so maybe you don’t remember that last part because, uh, I failed to mention it.)

But, not to worry, this book-writing thing is actually a lot easier than I thought.

In fact, it turns out I already wrote a book!

I just didn’t know it.

(Don’t be alarmed, but it’s possible that this is a sign that I’m a ninja.)

You see, I got an email the other week from one of my readers – the super awesome Mario Lurig. Unbeknownst to me, he had converted all of the posts from my Best Of page into a fancy, schmancy eBook! And then he emailed it to me because that’s the kind of nice guy that he is.

And because I’m also pretty nice myself and I like to share stuff (unless it’s cookies or chocolate or cake or unicorns… whatever, you get the point), I’m passing it along to you!

For free!

Because I like you!

And who needs money when there are plenty of perfectly nice bridges to live under?

All you have to do is click on the little link above that says “eBook,” which will take you to the page where you can download the file to your computer.

The eBook is also available for purchase on Amazon or Barnes & Noble for a mere 99 cents if you’d like to download it directly to your eReader. (I would have offered it for free, but they wouldn’t let me. I assure you your money will go to a good cause — me! Well, actually only about 25 cents goes to me, but that’s 25 cents that I promise to use to make the world a better place… or at least make my world a better place by buying myself more beer and ice cream.)

Also, feel free to leave a review of my eBook on Amazon or Barnes and Noble if you’d like. Not that I’m telling you that you have to, but it would be really nice of you… and there does seem to be a whole niceness thing going around right now.

And while you’re on the interwebz, please do check out Mario’s very helpful flight notification service called FlyTimeNotify.com. If you’re one of those people who actually plans your trips ahead of time (rather than at midnight the day before while hopped up on wine coolers and chocolate bars like some people), this website can let you know when your travel date becomes available for booking via email and text message. There is both a free and a paid service, and Mario, being the nice guy that he is, is offering my readers a special 50% off coupon. Just use the code: UNBRAVE5

So… now that I’ve already written a book, that means I’m off the hook for that book I was supposed to start writing this summer, right?

Because, uh, these episodes of Master Chef aren’t just going to watch themselves.

Ha, ha, just kidding.

Back to work.

(Right after I finish off this pint of ice cream.)

(And mop the kitchen floor.)

(And maybe take a nap.)

(Yes, another one. Stop giving me a hard time. This is just how ninjas work, okay?)

1. On July 18, 2011 at 10:00 am Lois said:

Awesome! Way to go Sally. Downloading. Now.

2. On July 18, 2011 at 1:37 pm Fiona at Life on Nanchang LU said:

You are a genius. And my bran’ new Kindle just arrived today, so I am super happy to be having you on it. Cheers!

3. On July 18, 2011 at 1:43 pm Bluegreen Kirk said:

Way to go with the ebook! Good to see that the .99 is going to a great cause of course. Now that you have got that first one out of the way how is the other book coming along?

• On July 18, 2011 at 2:32 pm Sally said:

Umm… yeah… I’m really hoping the other one turns out as easy as the first one. In that, I hope it’s kind of writing itself while I’m watching Master Chef! Although, somehow I doubt that.

4. On July 18, 2011 at 6:10 pm Andi of My Beautiful Adventures said:

OMG how exciting!!!!!! CONGRATS superwoman.

• On July 19, 2011 at 2:51 am Sally said:

Thanks, Andi! Although I don’t feel I deserve much of a congratulations as I didn’t really DO anything… but I’m happy to accept all the congratulations…. and any major literary awards… 🙂

5. On July 18, 2011 at 7:02 pm Ken C. said:

I don’t have a Kindle [sure, okay, I’m a book Luddite], so I downloaded the Kindle-for-Windows-PC application, and THEN downloaded your ebook from Amazon.

The book itself looks VERY NICE, and the small illustrations translated well to the ebook format. I didn’t realize that your Unbrave Girl super costume included knee-high boots…you are quite the fashionista! I’ll read through this version, as I may have missed some of the entries, and leave a review within the next few days.

I’m happy that your FIRST book is based on your blog observations…I’m guessing that this is how most of us came to know you (through your blog, that is). This writing is, in my opinion, already polished enough for a wider audience.

That Mario guy is genius. Unbrave Girl is ready for prime time.

While I do hope that the ebook takes off, I also hope you are typing away in your room according to your writing schedule. Or, whatever it is you writer-people do in your downtime…knocking back gin-&-tonics with that Hemingway fellow…hitting the road with Jack Kerouac [from the first page of “The Best of Unbrave Girl” by Sally Thelen].

Does the ebook have page numbers? Whatever are those “locations” at the bottom of the epage? Ai yai yai, this technology stuff!

• On July 19, 2011 at 2:49 am Sally said:

Thanks for downloading & hope you enjoy it!
      From what I understand, the location is the page number. But, an ebook has a lot more “pages” than a regular book. For example, my ebook has like 2,600 “pages” but I’m sure it wouldn’t have that many pages as a paper book. (More like 2,500… big difference, see?)

• On July 20, 2011 at 5:31 am Ken C. said:

I enjoyed the ending! Very nice…intimate…almost poignant; a great way to conclude this ebook. [Actually, I had read this “ending” post recently, but it is a great ending].

I’m glad you published this; I had missed some of your earlier blog postings, and the ebook organized them very logically.

Both “Andrew” and I have reviews up on the Amazon website. Best of luck!

• On July 20, 2011 at 3:01 pm Sally said:

I actually had to look at my Best Of page to see what I had ended with. Seeing as I didn’t know they were going to be made into an eBook, I hadn’t put that post at the end on purpose, but it really does work well as an ending piece. Thanks for mentioning it.
          Also huge thanks for the Amazon review. You’re too kind!

6. On July 19, 2011 at 4:31 am Andrew - The Unframed World said:

1) Props for making it Kindle-ready
    2) I’m somewhat disappointed that you didn’t write a book with new content.
    3) we can still be friends.

• On July 19, 2011 at 1:51 pm Sally said:

1) All props go to Mario. I did nothing but sit back & look pretty. And I didn’t even do a good job of that. (Sitting back = no problem. Looking pretty = not such an easy feat in this heat & humidity)
      2) I AM working on new book content right now. It’s should be exciting — totally different from my blog. Well, same voice but totally new material. Should be a fun read when it’s done… eventually. (No holding your breath. It took me a long time just to get cracking on it. I think it’s going to take me a really looong time to finish it.)
      3) Since it appears you’ve already read all my old material (since you’re so disappointed and all), you can make yourself useful by leaving a review on Amazon, okay? That’s what friends do!

7. On July 19, 2011 at 2:06 pm Anne McKinnell said:

Wow, congratulations, and what a nice guy Mario is for doing that for you! It must feel great to have your first book out the door especially when it comes as a bit of a surprise.

8. On July 19, 2011 at 8:06 pm MaryAnne said:

Yay you for beating out Frommers! Now we just need you to beat everyone else! It looks great, by the way. Kindles are magical things, aren’t they?

• On July 20, 2011 at 3:13 am Sally said:

Thanks, MaryAnne. Yes, I love me my Kindle. I really wish I had bought it earlier. The other day a friend on Facebook was saying she needed to order books… like real ones. And I thought that sounded so quaint.

9. On July 19, 2011 at 8:11 pm Sierra said:

Nice! I think you should still write another book, though… we’ll be on the look-out.

10. On July 20, 2011 at 6:06 am Camels & Chocolate said:

Wow, what nice readers you have! And your Gravatar’s on it and everything. Fancy!

11. On July 21, 2011 at 4:24 am dtravelsround said:

Yay!! Downloading. I love your writing! Excited for the “best of.”

12. On July 22, 2011 at 10:01 am Lorna - the roamantics said:

that is so incredibly awesome!!! i heart mario! don’t you just LOVE having a blog?! damn, i know i do. super happy for you sally 😀

13. On July 22, 2011 at 1:55 pm choi kum fook said:

Congratulation to you! Miss Sally! So easy for writing a book without a piece of paper! Kindle? Downloading? I am not so clear about that and their functioning as well. Anyhow, I will ask my son or daughter until I can read your book. You see how good am I in computer section. Ha, Ha!

14. On July 24, 2011 at 1:28 pm Ceri said:

I’d totally download it from Amazon and donate to the worthy cause that is you … except I don’t have an eReader … yet! One day, I tells ya, one day.

But, seriously, that’s awesome news, hun! 😀 Congrats!